Sunday, December 2, 2012

This Season I'm Celebrating CHRISTmas

I don't care if Jesus was born sometime in the Spring.

I don't care if the early Church appropriated the Roman festival of Saturnalia. The Romans had it coming.

I'm celebrating CHRISTmas, not Soltice.

I will greet people with a Merry Christmas or a Happy Hanukkah. "Happy Solstice" is not part of my vocabulary.

The fact is, we celebrate the Holidays thanks to the Christian and Jewish tradition. If the end-of-years' celebrations were left as pagan winter festivals, the season would have died out with the Romans and the pagans.

If certain intolerant atheists don't like the Christmas or Hanukkah traditions, they are free not to celebrate them.

'Nuff said.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, I think that Jesus was born in late September. He was conceived in December.

Pastor Murray of Shepherd's Chapel has talked about being able to find that out because of the Course of Abia or something.

The Stoogemaniac said...

I've heard that, too. Interesting possibility which gives December significance.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Arnold was on one of his archaeological trips when he came across a guy born in September (an Indian I think) who's name was Noel.

When Arnold asked him about his name, the guy told him that his mother called him that because Christ was born the same month he was.